In collaboration with Wiltshire Chilli Farm
If you’re looking for a meal that you can make with some store-cupboard basics, fishcakes has to be right up there as one of the best. This recipe is made with tuna as I always have some in the cupboard, but you can easily replace this with tinned salmon or sardines, which will work just as well. And if you don’t have potatoes, use cooked rice instead. This recipe was simply inspired by what I had available. There are so many different flavour combinations – add capers, fresh herbs, for example. If you’ve no eggs, use milk to dip the cakes instead. For an extra flavour kick use Habanero Chilli Sauce from Wiltshire Chilli Farm. Turn humble ingredients into a simple, tasty meal.
Humble store-cupboard ingredients, yields tasty results.
- 2 x 160g tinned tuna/sardines/salmon/crab, drained
- 700g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons Habanero Chilli Sauce
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 50g spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- Step 1 Put the potatoes and salt into a saucepan and pour in enough water just to cover the potatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Step 2 Remove the cooked potatoes from the pan and drain off the water, then place in a bowl and mash. Wilt the spinach in a pan, squeeze out any excess liquid, then add to the mash. Let the mixture cool, then add the tuna, spring onions, Habanero Chilli Sauce and gently stir to combine.
- Step 3 Take a handful of the mixture and shape into 1-inch thick cakes.
- Step 4 Place the fishcakes in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm.
- Step 5 Place the beaten egg and breadcrumbs on to two separate plates or containers.
- Step 6 Remove the fishcakes from the fridge and dip into the egg and then the breadcrumbs – patting in all over to ensure an even coat.
- Step 7 Heat oil in a frying pan then place each fishcake into the oil ensuring you don’t overcrowd the pan. Fry in batches if necessary.
- Step 8 Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Serve with salad.