I was kindly sent a sample each of lemon, garlic and chilli flavoured olive oils from Nudo. Nudo was set up in 2005 by Jason Gibb and Cathy Rogers who had bought and restored an abandoned olive grove in Italy’e Le Marche.
I wasn’t a fan of flavoured oils mainly because I’d tried them a few a years ago and were never quite right. They were either artificial tasting, too overpowering or just generally unpleasant that it kind of put me off. That is until now.
What are they like?
Nudo only use ‘100% natural, high quality and locally sourced ingredients and the resulting factor of this means that the oils actually taste of what they say they are. Each flavour is perfectly balanced, vibrant and natural tasting to boot. The lemon works wonders in salads and fish dishes, the garlic with lamb and pasta dishes and the chilli with pizzas and red meats.
As spring is in the air what better way to embrace it and highlight the deliciousness of Nudo olive oils then with this chargrilled squid salad and if you get your fishmonger to prepare the squid for you, then quick and easy too. I used the lemon oil in this simple recipe that worked wonders.
Marinated Chargrilled Squid
Marinated lemon scented squid
- 2 medium sized fresh squid
- 2 tsbp Nudo lemon olive oil
- 1 red chilli
- 1 garlic clove
- small handful of parsley
- packet salad of your choice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Step 1 Pre cleaned squid.
- Step 2 Finely chop garlic, chilli and parsley and mix all the ingredients together then set aside to marinate for 20 mins.
- Step 3 Place a grilled pan on the stove and whack the heat up to its highest setting (do not add any oil to the pan). When smoking add the marinated squid and cook on the fierce heat for 5 mins. Try not to overcook it or it will go rubbery.
- Step 4 Drizzle Nudo olive oil over the salad leaves and toss with salt and pepper. Place the squid on top of the salad and serve immediately.