Further to my last post on warm and comforting food here’s another lovely recipe, chickpea, chorizo and squid stew. It’s a tasty one-pot wonder. I often have a can of chickpeas in my store cupboard as it can help bulk out stews and curries when I’m either not in the mood for meat or just fancy something lighter. This simple chorizo, squid and chickpea stew packs a lot of flavour due to the oils from the chorizo oozing into the tomato-based sauce. Give it a try!
Chorizo, Squid and Chickpea Stew
- I large squid tube cut into rings
- 200g cooking chorizo cut into chunks
- 400g tinned chickpeas (juice drained)
- 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- handful of fresh parsley
- 2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Step 1 Warm the olive oil in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the chorizo, stir frequently and cook gently until the chorizo oozes its delicious red oils.
- Step 2 Add the onion and fry for a few minutes until translucent then add the paprika and garlic and continue to cook for a further minute.
- Step 3 Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, salt and pepper, stir and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes add the squid and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Step 4 Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with crusty bread.