Chicken and Leek Teriyaki Skewers
I often cook Asian-influenced meals because I love the speed of it. I can usually knock up a full plate of food from start to finish within half an hour. One of my regular and favourite dishes is teriyaki style chicken with leeks. This recipe is a baked version (it was chilly when I made it), but it also works well cooked on a barbecue or griddle pan.
Oven baked chicken and leek teriyaki-style skewers
- 500g chicken thighs, boned, skinned and cut into cubes
- 2 leeks
- 120ml soy sauce
- 60ml mirin
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- ½ tsp cornflour
- 1tbsp water
- pinch of sesame seeds
- Step 1 Preheat oven to gas mark 7/ 220°C/ 425°F.
- Step 2 Marinade the chicken in soy, mirin, garlic, ginger and sugar. Leave to marinate overnight or at least a few hours.
- Step 3 Remove chicken from the marinade and set the marinade aside.
- Step 4 Thread the chicken and leek alternately through the skewers, leave a bit of a gap so that the heat can penetrate in between the pieces.
- Step 5 Place skewers on a baking tray and cook for 15 minutes, or until cooked.
- Step 6 Heat remainder of the marinade in a saucepan, add cornflour and cook for a couple of minutes until the sauce has thickened. Serve on the side for dipping. Sprinkle dish with sesame seeds.